Thursday, September 5, 2013

Life.

After a two month hiatus of blog writing.. I'm back. 
These past two months have been insane.. full of life changes, adjustments, and some moped rides. 
I moved apartments a couple weeks ago not too far from Shook HaCarmel (anyone who's been on Taglit-Birthright .. it's that crazy market in Tel Aviv where you can buy anything from shoes to an phone charger for super cheap). I live with three roommates at the moment (from Switzerland, France and Israel), but one is moving out in a week. Shame.. Tamara we will miss you. 
I started "Ulpan" aka intensive Hebrew less than a week ago. Class is from 8:15-12:50 Sunday-Thursday. In Israel, the week starts on Sunday. Friday.. vacayy babyy. 
I get to take this Hebrew course for free because I am a new citizen of Israel. (Olah Hadasha). 
There are about 20 people in my class, all different ages coming from all over the globe. 
Each has their own reason for learning Hebrew. Some are fluent but want to learn grammar, some married an Israeli and want to communicate with his/her families. 
I am enjoying class so far. The other day the Mayor of Tel Aviv came to welcome us and raise a toast to the new year. 


I have had these past couple days off because of the Jewish new year (Rosh HaShana), where I travelled back to the Kibbutz (where I studied Arabic for 5 months).
It was GREAT being back. I actually haven't left Tel Aviv since I got here at the end of June. 
Anyone who doesn't live in Tel Aviv claims Tel Avivians have this mindset where they think nothing exists outside of Tel Aviv... umm...guilty. 
It's kinda true. Anything you possibly need can be found here. Even the ..... sea. Apparently the giant body of salt water is NOT an ocean. Shocking .. I know.
I had a great time up "North." (The Kibbutz is only an hour from Tel Aviv.. but Israelis treat an hour like it's across the entire country. Perhaps it's because the entire country is the size of New Jersey). 
I had Rosh HaShana dinner with my host family from my past Arabic program.  I am still in touch with them. This morning I visited one of my Arabic teachers on her Kibbutz across the street. Then I headed to Zichron Yakov (about 15 min away) to visit a different teacher for the holidays. I am pretty sure I consumed my own body weight in food these past 24 hours. 
This coming Sunday I start work! Yes.. I got a job !!! Hallelujah. A great way to start the new year. 
I will be writing a commerce blog part time after I finish my Hebrew in the morning. 
Going from vacation to studying 20 hours a week, working 20 hours a week, and having a life... ain lee meeleem (no words). 
Slowly but surely I am adjusting to the Israeli life. Right now I am focusing on learning Hebrew. Yes I am an Israeli citizen and feel at home in Israel, but a large part of integrating into a new culture is by learning the language, which takes time. I am picking up Hebrew pretty fast, but of course have a lot to learn. One thing I don't think I can ever get used to is the fact that I am living in a country surrounded by nations who want to see Israel wiped off the planet. I have been asked several times in the past week, extremely casually, if I've gotten my gas mask yet. um... come again? What? People here are so non-chalant about it. The gas mask process is quite hectic actually. If you have Israeli citizenship, you get a gas mask from the government no cost. If you are a tourist, or student. well SOL i guess. 
There are 4 post offices that distribute the masks in Tel Aviv. But.. these locations change constantly. By 7 AM there are already 800 people in line. You can supposedly get one ordered to you address, but they're apparently "backed up" at the moment. Ohh life in the Middle East. gotta love it. 
I gotta say. Despite all the craziness here. I'm very happy.


XO 
Qui











1 comment:

  1. Jacqui!! Your blog is hilarious! totally made my day. I'm totally following you now. woo! So proud of you for acculturating and that part about the gas masks is crazy! Mazal Tov on the new job by the way, I'm still trying to do that myself haha. Miss you loads and Shana Tova my darling. I hope I get to see you again soon. :]

    ReplyDelete