Wednesday, September 11, 2013

.... Woa.

Woa is right. The only word I can think of to describe the week I just had! I can't remember the last time I was this busy. Perhaps finals weeks back in uni? (Yea I just said Uni.. all these foreigners are messing with my English!). In all seriousness, I don't know how to speak English anymore. All Olim (new immigrants) used to tell me their English would get worse by the day, and I really didn't believe them until now. Let's start but that awfully embarrassing facebook status I put out the other day. umm... I'm righting a blog? Dear lord. Sorry guys. Let's try that again.. I am WRITING a blog for an awesome startup company in Tel Aviv. Don't worry.. I spend many hours editing ;).
I'm having a blast at work. Day 1 and they were already calling me Shosh (from "Girls")

If you know me (which I'm assuming you do cuz you're reading my blog) you probably noticed I tend to struggle with pretty basic life tasks such as: opening a tuna can (thought I was going to lose my thumb a couple weeks back), cooking anything that doesn't involve microwave (if that's considered cooking), and apparently.. making a coffee. Everyone at work found it incredibly entertaining watching me attempt to use the coffee machine. Oh well. Ain ma la-asot (Nothing you can do).
Imagine... going from 5 hours of intensive language class, to 5 hours of writing. Hebrew -----> fashion. Lolz. Love my life.
Getting my learn on. Photo cred: Creepy Noa
Anyways. Met some guy in my Ulpan today, let's call him Joe, who's never tried a soda in his life! I was even more shocked when he told me he didn't try ice-cream till the age of 35! I ran into him on the street before class today. I was confused why he was going about 10 minutes out of his way and taking the long route. He explained to me how there's a coffee vendor near our class who yells at him when he's drinking a coffee from somewhere else. So he literally sneaks to class so he doesn't have to deal with it. LOL. JFLS. (just felt like sharing).
Trying to contain my enthusiasm. YEAA Hebrew!!
Next to me is Bex. Another American. 











I think it's worth mentioning how things work around here. Customer service. Another word now missing from my vocabulary. Let me give you an example.
Q: Hi. I'd like to change the method of payment for my phone plan.
A: You're no where in our records. You're sure your name is Jacqueline? Come back another time."
One more..
Q: Hi. Can someone please come check out our apartment. Every time we turn on the water heater, the AC goes out."
A: I take cold showers all the time. There's nothing wrong with that."
Somehow I'm getting used to this "Shchoona"...BS way of dealing with things.
View of my walk to work. No complaints.
On a separate note. I'm in dire need of a day off to just chilllllax.. The first chance I get... Saturday, which happens to be Yom Kippur. Super relaxing right? No food, water, or .. yea you get the point.
Looking forward to Yom Kippur though. I hear it's a completely different experience here in Israel than anywhere else. Silence . everywhere. not a single car. Well I'm off to bed. Laila Tov.








(Keeping in my thoughts and prayers the innocent victims and their families, who were affected by such tragedy on September 11, 2001.)




J

No comments:

Post a Comment