Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Never Settle For Less

A couple weeks back, I was told by an agency designed to help new Olim Hadashim (new immigrants to Israel) to lower all my expectations while pursuing my job search here in the eretz (Israel). This message was discouraging, and put a damper on my positive energy about making the big change. I came here to the holy land with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology, and a solid base in written Arabic.  I spent the past 5 months pouring my heart and soul into mastering the Arabic language, specifically the Palestinian dialect. To be told to lower my expectations, regardless of my qualifications, didn't seem just.  For a while, I actually did lower my expectations and standards. But after talking to some friends and family, I regained inspiration and rethought my attitude. Moving to a new country, on my own, starting fresh, has giving me the motivation not to give up, and to reach my highest potential. As my Bubby (Yiddish for grandmother) always told me: You live once, do what you love, and don't depend on anybody. I know she'd be proud of me for working towards my aspirations.

Yesterday while grabbing dinner to-go, I came across a guy, about my age, who made Aliyah three years ago. He warned me how hard it is to live here, both financially, and mentally. I constantly receive the same message: Israel is such a great place to live, but is extremely difficult and challenging. I did not come here for an easy life. Anyone who knows me knows I don't just take the easy way out. I challenge myself constantly.

I moved to the big city (Tel Aviv) on Friday. My last week of IAS (Intensive Arabic Semester) was a series of random events, as usual. We went on a field trip to Tziporri, and Tzvat (one of the four holy cities in Israel). On Thursday, we visited two art Museums, one in the Arab city of Um-Alfhm. Naturally we started the day at a Hummus place for breakfast. We said bye to our host families in Baqa, where of course I ate massive amounts of food.


Onion and toasted almond bread
Coconut cake and fruit
This bye wasn't a real one, since we are still planning on meeting up at least once a month! They invited me to come celebrate/observe Ramadan later in the summer. Not just my host sister, but her cousins, and grandparents. (During Ramadan, those observing do not eat/drink during the day, but wake up at about 3 AM for a large meal. Most people actually gain wait during Ramadan. This is also a time for those to apologize to their friends, and let go of any grudges).

I just saw this ad for IAS on Givat Haviva's webpage :).  (Highly suggest the program).



Since the move to Tel Aviv, I have managed to keep super busy! In less than 24 hours I spent time with friends from Palo Alto, DC (SO to Milad),  Montreal, and Israel. Pretty incredible, eh? (Or as South Africans apparently say, Heh?)

So you might be wondering my future plans. Now what? Great.. question.
My parents are coming to visit Friday. It's been 6 months since I've seen them.
After that, I am hoping to have completed the Aliyah, where I will be able to legally work. Hallelujah.
For now, trying to stay cool. Local weather... 90s. all day, everyday.


P.O.F.N.


J

No comments:

Post a Comment